David BentallPresident, Next Step Advisors; Vancouver, BC
David C. Bentall was born and raised in Vancouver and is a graduate of UBC and Harvard Business School. After working in his family’s business, The Bentall Group, where he focused on real estate development, in 1991 he became President and CEO of Dominion Construction. Under his leadership, the company’s annual sales doubled.
David is now President of his own firm, Next Step Advisors, which provides succession consulting and executive/life coaching to business leaders & companies across N. America. Internationally recognized for his coaching, advising and teaching skills, he has received numerous awards for his dedication to helping leaders grow. His first two books, “The Company You Keep” and “Leaving a Legacy” are must reads for all who desire insight & practical input on establishing authentic relationships and instituting effective succession planning.
David, a good all around athlete, excels at water skiing. He has won national & international awards including three gold medals at the Canadian National Water Ski Championships. In January, 2012, David was ranked the #1 male slalom skier in the world for his age group.
David has been married to his wife, Alison, for over 35 years. Together they have four fabulous children, and three wonderful grandchildren.
Fire Proofing the Family Business
- Recruit independent members and create a working Board of Directors.
- Train the next generation to become competent owners.
- Anticipate how you will minimize and manage conflict.
- Separate retirement funding from the business.
- Teach successors how to follow; before teaching them to lead.
- Require outside work experience, for all successors.
- Initiate charitable giving as a family.